New Belgium’s Tour de Fat is coming to Tempe this weekend and it’s a bike event you don’t want to miss! The event shines awareness on the environment and riding your bike instead of driving a car, and of course fun costumes and BEER! This will be my third Tour de Fat and I wanted to share some tips so you can have the best time ever this year!
When: Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012, Event starts at 9 a.m., Bike ride is at 10 a.m. and the event lasts until 3 p.m.
Where: Tempe Beach Park: 80 W Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, AZ 85281
The Do’s and Don’ts
- Bring your bike! Don’t forget a bike lock.
- Get there early. It will be crowded because look how much fun you’ll have!
- Dress up! If you don’t wear a costume, you are more likely to stand out. Most people wear a fun costume of their choosing- there’s no rhyme or reason. Get creative! Think of Tour de Fat, as early Halloween!
- Bring your ID, some cash and sunscreen. These items will be important if you want to drink New Belgium beer and avoid getting a sun burn- yes even in October it’s still hot and sunny in Tempe.
- Drink water and bring some with you.
- Eat breakfast! You will be better off having eaten something than if you were to start drinking beer in the heat on an empty stomach.
- Check out your bike the day before. You don’t want a flat tire or busted chain during the bike ride.
- Call all your cyclist friends and invite them! The more the merrier!
- Drive: This is a biking event that encourages you to “trade in your car for a bike”. So ride your bike or take the light rail there. The parking lot will be pretty full, especially the later you arrive.
- Ride your bike like you’re in a race. There will be many people in the bike ride and it’s best to ride to a leisurely speed to avoid injuries.
- Bring pets, unless you have a bike basket for them to ride in. They could get hurt being in a crowd of cyclists.
Check out the New Belgium website for more information! See ya there!